Saturday, August 20, 2011
Meanwhile, the hive that we split in two because it was swarming every day ended up as two healthy hives. They each have a full super of honey. The original hive, in the middle, has a second super that is about a third full. We didn't take any honey from them today, but may check back in later.
I don't know that I ever posted the pictures and jar count of the spring honey. It was tulip poplar honey this year, something we'd never actually gotten before. The honey was dark, characteristic of tulip poplar. The lighter honey we've gotten in the past in the June harvest probably came from black locust trees.
The August honey is beautiful. I'll post more pics after bottling. I've dug out the old "how to measure pints based on the level of honey in the bottling bucket formula." Will also report back on that.